Below you will find extensive content to help revive your iPod if you are experiencing problems starting your iPod. We have also included Repair Guides designed to help you replace & repair parts inside your iPod.
If you're having trouble with an iPod, try these steps (known as the five R's) one at a time until the issue's are resolved. These steps can help revive a troubled iPod and save time and money you would otherwise spend on parts/labor.
Note: Please make sure that your iPod is fully charged and toggle the Hold switch on and off before performing these steps.
1. Reset your iPod (1st, 2nd or 3rd Gen), iPod nano (1st or 2nd Gen), iPod video (1st or 2nd Gen), iPod mini(1st or 2nd Gen), or iPod shuffle(1st or 2nd Gen). Holding Menu + Center buttons for at least 6 seconds normally will reset your iPod. Hold Menu + Play on the 3rd Generation iPod to perform a reset.
2. Retry your iPod with a different USB or FireWire port on your computer (please note that the latest iPods can only be synced through USB: iPod Video & iPod Nano).
3. Restart your computer, and make sure that you have the latest software updates installed.
4. Reinstall your iPod and iTunes software. You can download the latest versions of iPod Updater and iTunes from Apple.com.
5. Restore your iPod using the latest iPod Updater. Please note that restoring an iPod will erase all songs and files on your iPod and restore it back to its original settings. After restoring, you can transfer your music and files from your computer back to your iPod again.